On this glorious spring weekend during which my family and friends celebrate different religious and/or secular rituals, my pastor’s words echo with me. He touched on the idea of power and our actions in response to it. Power is simply the ability to influence people to do something they otherwise would not do.
In our world, I consider the different ways in which they have relinquished their power and to what or whom. People relinquish their power:
- to the societal expectation of instantaneous communication and availability by answering every single phone call, text, tweet, or email as rapidly as possible.
- to an esteemed so-called expert who encourages extraordinary behavior.
- to a boss or another person whom they perceive to be in a position of authority.
- to a deity whom they honor out of the fear of reprisal.
- to something that they consider to be outside their control.
The common theme among all these power thieves is FEAR. Consider that for a minute. If you are afraid of something, it has power over you. It could be the fear of failing that prevents you from trying something daring and new. For some people, the fear of being condemned to hell that compels them to attend church every week. What would happen if you could be free of fear in any of its manifestations? Let’s revisit the scenarios above.
- You could control your response to external demands for your attention.
- You could consider the so-called expert’s advice and trust that you are intelligent enough to decide what is right for you.
- You could respect authority but keep the dignity to make your own decisions.
- You could worship your chosen deity out of love.
- You could be in control of your life.
Oh my goodness– we could be in control? Did I really say that? ABSOLUTELY. I do not believe that we were created to live in fear. Inasmuch as our Creator is part of us and in everything we behold, we were born to love that Divinity and honor it in all our thoughts and actions. That involves using our innate power wisely and out of love for the Divinity that resides in every person and all things of this world.
On this beautiful day, I would like to give you a gift. The gift is the permission to take back all the power you have given away out of fear. Reclaim it, make it your own, then you can make your world as you want it to be.
So how will you use your power?
- From Fear to Faith (celestinerhythm.com)
- As I Thinketh (positivecookieattitudes.wordpress.com)
- Goddess Pages: High Priestess (thebalancedsoul.wordpress.com)
- The Mastery of Fear (john11echoes.wordpress.com)
- The Road Less Traveled – Grace (ayearofintention.wordpress.com)
- The Risk of Living Fully (joyofspa.com)